Rhinoplasty Recovery TipsRhinoplasty is a cosmetic surgical procedure to correct the nasal bridge or passages done for either aesthetic reasons and to improve breathing. Healing from any surgery does take time, and even though most of the swelling is improved after the first week and almost 80% improved after six weeks, the full and final cosmetic result can take up to a year to be achieved. Many patients about to embark on rhinoplasty surgery ask us at the Perth Cosmetic Surgery, what they can do both pre- and post-operatively to improve their rate of recovery. We’ve put together the most common tips for before and after the procedure to significantly assist recovery.
Easy recovery tips to followBefore the operation Before the rhinoplasty procedure is done, we suggest following a few instructions that will greatly enhance the success of the procedure and the post-op results:
- Stop the use of any blood thinning medications like aspirin or ibuprofen, as well as any vitamin E supplements at least 2 weeks before the operation. These medications can cause more bleeding during the operation.
- It is wise to be in the best state of health possible leading up to the operation. We suggest that all patients stop smoking and avoid nicotine for at least 6 weeks before the operation.
- Alcohol should also be avoided at least a week before the op.
- Use an ice pack or cold press on the swollen areas for pain relief and to avoid swelling.
- Sleep and rest (both day and night) with your head elevated to allow for the drainage of blood from your face and to avoid additional pain and swelling. Sleeping in an upright position for the first 2-3 weeks is recommended.
- Stick strictly to the pain medication schedule that your surgeon gives you.
- Use arnica massage oil or take arnica tablets to reduce unsightly bruising and promote healing.
- Apply a topical cream such as vitamin E to the incision line or scar. We suggest massaging the cream into the scar and nasal area, if it is not too sore. Steroid creams assist with decreasing inflammation too.
- Avoid strenuous activity or exercise for at least 2 weeks after the operation.
- Use a nasal decongestant spray to keep your nasal passages moist and open.
- Maintain good nutrition and keep well hydrated during your recovery period.